Thursday, April 29, 2010

Stomach Curdling

Well, yesterday was my appointment with Dr. Punim for my final consultation. After reviewing the study models and x-rays of my mouth, jaws and teeth, she presented the treatment plan.

What I'm looking at is the same thing that Dr. Graham was presenting to me - removal of my impacted right maxillary canine, the 2nd bicuspid of the upper arch as well as possibly the second bicuspids on the lower arch. There was only one really huge difference:

$1,339!

Essentially, Dr. Punim wants me to come up with $1,500 up front, then $190 a month for 20 months. Plus, she doesn't work directly with my dental insurance company, so I would have to wait to be reimbursed. Dr. Graham does work directly with the insurance, so I would only have to come up with $461, first and last month's payment and monthly payments of $125 a month. So, I think my decision is made up. Personally, I don't understand why Dr. Punim's office is charging that much more for the same work.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, what a difference!

    So when do you start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said, it means yet another delay. I have to call tomorrow to cancel the appointments that I have for this week, then recall the original orthodontist, Dr. Graham, to schedule an appointment.

    I spoke with the insurance company on Friday and they said they make their reimbursement payments 30 days after they receive the claim after work has been done and I can't wait that long to be paid back. Working with Dr. Graham would mean his office works directly with the insurance, where Dr. Punim's does not.

    It makes me wonder if I'm paying the rent on the office for the month with the deposit that I have to pay. And all of this just for stainless steel braces?

    ReplyDelete