Tuesday, February 16, 2010

And Then, There Came An Answer...

As I stated last week, Dr. Archer wasn't exactly sure how to go about getting me the referral to Dr. Levin for my underbite. It's not that she's a bad physician - far from it, I trust her judgement and she's the one that got things started so I can breathe through my nose like humans do - it's just that she's never had to deal with anything like this before. I admit I do love giving people a challenge, and love them myself, but I didn't think it would have to get to this.

The last week has been possibly one of the most stressful in my life with all of the research on insurance coverage and what it is that each agency covers and for what to try to figure out if I could get coverage for this surgery. The only thing that I could find regarding this for my own insurance was that it covers the surgery to correct skeletal deformity. Okay, but to what limits? Trying to get any information other than that in the paperwork was a waste of time, and dealing with the phone operators was...you know, I really do wonder if they get paid by the call! It seemed like they were trying to get me off the phone with little help at all.

Regardless, I decided to wait the week out and see what would happen. Unfortunately, Monday was a federal holiday and I didn't receive any mail to find out any information. Also, I decided on Sunday that I would call and just make the appointment and pay out of pocket so I could find out for myself if this could be covered. Calling on Monday proved fruitless as the office was closed and all calls were going straight to voicemail. I hate voicemail to begin with, so I just decided I'd have to wait until Tuesday.

When today arrived, I woke early as I was scheduled to go to my mother's house to take her to her doctor for her appointment. As I was walking down the street at 6:45 a.m., she phoned me to tell me that she would not be going to the appointment (this is yet another drama I have to deal with) and that I should just go and enjoy my day. So, being that I was so far away from the apartment to walk back, I jumped the bus to Orange Coast College to have breakfast in the cafeteria and also get a large, hot chai tea from the coffee stand outside the Literature and Languages building. I walked back to Harbor Boulevard and caught the route 43 to 1313 S. Harbor Blvd. in Anaheim, CA.

Well, it seems that everyone came out for Fat Tuesday. Hey, kids...this isn't New Orleans - go THERE! The good thing was that I didn't have to wait until 10 a.m. for the park to open as it opened at 9 which meant no waiting around for another hour and 15 minutes. Head up to Main Street USA and wait for them to drop the rope and let us in, went to Space Mountain for a Fastpass, then caught a train to New Orleans Square to jump a ride on the Haunted Mansion. I thought for a second about what time it was, checked my cellphone and realized that it was after 9 a.m. so I figured that Dr. Levin's office must be open, so I called up the number.

When I called, a woman named Cheryl answered the phone and I told her I wanted to schedule an appointment. She asked me if I had insurance and responded, "Yes" and told her my insurance coverage. She asked me if I was referred and I told her that I was willing to pay out of pocket just so I could get some questions answered. I told her the situation about what happened with Dr. Archer's referral and I just wanted to get this thing scheduled. She asked me which medical group I belonged to, so I told her. She then asked, "Would you like me to check their website to see if you're pending approval?" I didn't even know about this, and asked her if she could and she responded positively. She told me to hold on, so I waited. After a few seconds that seemed like an eternity, she gave me an answer.

I've been approved for my referral!

I had to stop there at the entrance to the Mansion and move to the side of the line. This was not just because I didn't want to lose the reception on my phone but because I was getting so excited my eyes were tearing up. Cheryl looked up what she had for consultation appointments and I took the first available appointment. I disconnected and went into the Mansion. Once in my "Doom Buggy" and away from view of the general populace, I kind of lost it. At last, I now have a true sense of getting somewhere with something that has bothered me physically, psychologically and socially since I was a child. I am so hyped up, everything looks beautiful to me. I wanted to share this as soon as possible, so I sent off a text message to my friend, Loana, once I got off the ride. I then sent off a text to my sister to find out if she was working so I could deliver her the news myself; I sent an offline Yahoo! Instant Message to my friend, Evelyn; then another message to my cousin's wife Becky.

My appointment is March 16th, 2010 at 2 p.m. (3:16, as Loana pointed out, would have a new meaning for me today - I didn't even think of that! I almost cracked up on the bus after reading that text message.) According to the referral letter I received, this does not confirm eligibility. This will have to be done by Dr. Levin to show that this is surgery is medically necessary, I think. I'm sure I'll worry about it then, but this takes a gigantic load off my mind so I can just get on with my life.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment